The government shutdown was a busy time for me at Center for American Progress. Here are some highlights from my work:
- Progressives Just Made a Huge Compromise to Keep the Government Open, but the Tea Party Might Shut it Down Anyway. This highlighted the compromise made by Senate Democrats to accept a continuing resolution to keep the government open at very low spending levels.
- The Senate Continuing Resolution is Already a Compromise. This highlighted the compromise spending levels offered by Senate Democrats to keep the government open. The chart in this column was used repeatedly by the Washington Post’s Wonkblog.
- Debt Limit 101. Brinksmanship over raising the debt ceiling continued during the shutdown, and the deadline for avoiding a default on the national debt was only days away. This column explained the key issues with the debt limit.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. I discussed the shutdown and debt limit on the Joy Cardin Show.
- “So why are we talking about this?” Part of my quote in a Mother Jones story about the debt limit.